For the rest of us: Here comes the actual Article.
Yes, Alexa at times can be a very useful tool. I had to start doing some SEO and didn’t really know which keywords to go for. So, I picked a competitor and checked what keywords and search phrases his visitors are using. Here they are:
High impact search queries according to Alexa describing a competitor site.
Well it’s StartXchange.com really…
|2||manual traffic exchange||High|
|4||manual traffic exchanges||High|
|5||top traffic exchanges||Medium|
|7||free traffic exchange||Medium|
That means that those keywords together (not really but assume for now) result in the traffic coming from search engines. How much of the traffic that produces can be found out too, after all if it is worth pursuing can only be determined by numbers. Let’s ask about that at Alexa.com again…
|% of Unique Visits Percent of visits to startxchange.com (uniqued daily by user) preceded by a visit to the upstream site.||Upstream Site|
That means, that 5.67% from Google and 2.51% from Yahoo are together 8.18% of his traffic is organic search traffic. Not bad… So if we could position ourselves with these keywords, we would get some of this targeted traffic. Well…. How much exactly we still don’t know.
Yep, you guessed it. Lets ask whom? Alexa.Well sadly, that’s where the buck stops, I haven’t found a way to get somewhat precise values in when it comes to pageviews. Others haven’t gotten to far either.
We could believe Tim Lindens weekly Stats (722911) on his TrafficExchangeList.com. Or maybe we could use Sitetrail who might just as well be using Alexa Data. According to SiteTrail, that would be 368763 pageviews per day for startexchange.
Since we know it is 8.18% organic traffic, we end up with ~30164 pageviews/day for those keywords listed above.